Our proposed programme aims to address the challenges faced by secondary school children in Blackpool, offering a tailored mentorship initiative intertwined with the values and teachings of rugby. By focusing on children potentially at risk of exclusion or labelled ‘at-risk’ due to anti-social behaviour, this intervention aims to empower and guide them towards positive change
The programme will span 10 weeks, engaging targeted groups of 3-6 students per session. The core focus will be on mentorship and workshops that harness the power of rugby’s core values—Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline, and Sportsmanship—to instil essential life skills and promote personal development.
- Communication and Conflict Resolution: Teaching effective communication strategies and methods to resolve conflicts positively and constructively.
- Benefits of Physical Exercise: Exploring the physical, mental, and emotional benefits of regular exercise and its impact on overall well-being.
- Team Building and Leadership: Cultivating leadership qualities, fostering teamwork, and emphasising the importance of collaboration.
- Career Exploration: Introducing various career paths and avenues, inspiring students to explore their interests and potentials.
- Life Skills Development: Providing practical life skills, including time management, resilience, and problem-solving.
- Goal Setting: Assisting students in setting achievable short and long-term goals, guiding them toward personal growth.
The programme will combine interactive workshops, mentorship sessions, and sports-based activities. Our coaches will guide students through discussions, exercises, and practical applications of the workshop topics. Sports sessions will not only impart the sport’s technical aspects but also reinforce the values associated with it.
- Enhanced Life Skills: Equipping students with vital life skills necessary for personal and academic growth.
- Improved Resilience: Instilling resilience and determination to overcome challenges.
- Positive Behaviour Transformation: Encouraging positive behaviour changes and reduced risks of exclusion or anti-social tendencies.
- Increased Confidence: Cultivating self-belief and confidence in their abilities.
- Long-term Impact: Promoting a renewed sense of hope and optimism for a brighter future.
We will collaborate with local schools, utilising their facilities and support for the programme’s successful implementation. Additionally, partnering with local rugby clubs and community organisations can enrich the experience by involving experienced coaches and creating a broader community impact.
The mentoring and rugby programme seeks to be a transformative journey for secondary school children in Blackpool, offering not just sport-based activities but a structured pathway towards personal growth, positive behavioural change, and renewed aspirations for a promising future.
This proposal aims to provide a holistic approach in shaping the lives of these students, emphasising values, skills, and experiences that will resonate beyond the duration of the programme, ultimately contributing to a stronger, more empowered community.
Supporting Businesses & Individuals
Thanks to the support of individuals and businesses we are running the programme at the following schools:
Schools Mentoring and Rugby Programme
For more information about the Schools Mentoring and Rugby Programme or to get involved as a sponsor, please contact Phill Mills at: firstname.lastname@example.org